Protein in an integral part of an animals diet, currently Ireland is importing a substantial portion of this protein. Why ? when we can grow beans as a protein crop successfully in this country. The EU recognizes this and are offering a protein payment for this crop.
Southern Fuel & Farm Supplies Ltd offered Bean contracts for 2016. This can be of benefit to farmers who have to implement the 2 / 3 crop rule as part of their crop rotation.
- Beans offer great potential to fill the void as a break crop which has been there since the unfortunate departure of Sugar Beet.
- Beans offer a higher gross margin than spring barley see Teagasc cost and returns 2015.
- Beans are a nitrogen fixing legume crop which don’t require any artificial nitrogen, given the current cost of fertiliser, this offers a substantial saving.
- Beans offer a lovely entry for a following cereal crop. They leave leaving residual nitrogen in the ground which can taken up by the cereal crop.
Southern Fuel & Farm Supplies Ltd supply seed, chemical and fertiliser and full crop walking / agronomy package.
Good yielding variety with good protein content.
It has the highest yield on the Recommended List and also the joint highest protein content.
- Fuego has proven to be Ireland’s most popular variety producing consistent yields with Irish growers.
- Fuego has been in official trials for more than 3 years and is therefore suited to Irish growing conditions.
- Superior Downey Mildew resistance.
For more agronomy information regarding seed variety, rate, herbicide and nutrients please contact our Team of experts as these change on an annual basis.